KOTA KINABALU: The government is proposed to engage an ‘independent auditor’ to accurately identify the total amount of the 40 percent claim for the state of Sabah.
In making the call, the Putatan UMNO Chief Jeffery Nor Mohamed, said that the suggestion made by the late Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin previously is very rational and ‘practical’ as well as fair for all parties involved.
“The technical aspects regarding the method of ‘calculation’ must be straightforward and clear, not a calculation that ultimately becomes rhetoric,” he said in a statement today.
According to Jeffery, the appointment of the independent auditor must receive approval from both the federal and state sides, and all decisions made by the independent auditor should serve as a basis for the next steps to realize the ‘40% claim’.
“In this matter, the people of Sabah must receive a ‘simple’ explanation regarding the decision.
He stressed that a resolution based on the findings from the ‘independent auditor’ must be the main pillar for resolving this issue.
“We want to see a permanent framework or a ‘new agreement’ based on those findings that will create a new platform for significant solutions to fulfill the demands of the people of Sabah,” he said.
The High Court in Kota Kinabalu ruled on October 17 that the Federal Government has an obligation to review and reimburse the 40 percent claim from the net revenue obtained from Sabah according to Articles 112C and 112D of the Federal Constitution.
